Friday, April 22, 2011

Candied Almonds

As I was wondering what to do with my left over evaporated milk, I found a recipe for Candied Pecans that sounded pretty good.  But then I realized that I didn't have any pecans sitting around, and I didn't particularly want to go out an buy any because I'll be moving soon, and the fewer things I have to take with me, the better.  I did have a large bag of almonds though.  So I decided to adapt the recipe to almonds, pecans would work well too, of course.  The original recipe is here.  But I ended up doubling it (but I'll post the original proportions, because really, how often do people need 6 cups of candied almonds?), so that I could use up all the evaporated milk I had, and I added a few more spices, because really 1/4 tsp of cinnamon is not enough.

***

Candied Almonds


3 Cups whole Almonds
1 cup sugar (1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 white)
1/4 cup Evaporated milk
2 Tbsp Water
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Cardamom
1 pinch Clove
1 pinch Cayenne pepper (if you want a slightly spicy sweet nut)

Combine the evaporated milk, water, vanilla, sugar and spices in a saucepan on medium heat.

 
Stir until the sugar is dissolved.


Add the Almonds, and simmer, while stirring, until there is no syrup left.


Spread out on wax paper to cool.


***

This is for crispy, dry candied almonds... you could also cook a little less time, so there is still a little syrup left, and pour them onto wax paper, in which case you'll have slightly more sticky candied almonds.  It's really up to your taste.  I think mine would have been even better if I had toasted the almonds first, and then candied them.  Maybe I'll try putting some of these in the oven to roast a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment